Monday, August 13, 2012

postheadericon Bloc_Loc Ruler: Notion Spotlight

Hi all,

I thought I might take today to put the spotlight on a new ruler that I have discovered: Bloc_Loc. These rulers are really neat. They are perfect for squaring up those pesky half-square triangle blocks because the ruler had a groove in the center that "hugs" the seam of your HST, keeping it centered. Now, I have to admit that in the past I was really lazy about squaring up blocks, but in the last few months, I have gotten into a "perfection" kick and I've taken to sewing my blocks slightly larger and then trimming them. So, without further ado, here's some pictures of the Bloc_Loc in action!


So, this is my block and my ruler before cutting. See those icky dog ears?!


I put the ruler on my block, being careful to pay attention to make sure I don't trim off too much. Then I trim the first two sides. These blocks need to be trimmed to 3.5 inches square and this is a 4.5 inch ruler, just to give you a reference point. 


Then, I slide the ruler to the other end of the block and trim the other side. 


And you should end up with a very nice neat trimmed block with the seam in the center! 


You also end up with a LOT of little strings and dog ear triangles :) 
Until next time, Happy Sewing! 



Photobucket

1 comments:

Krista Schneider said...

Well shoot, that's handy! My ruler is always slipping and I have to press so hard my wrist hurts. What a brilliant tool! Where'd you find it?

About Me

My Photo
The Quilt Mistress
View my complete profile

Grab my button

INSTAGRAM

Instagram Gallery

I’m a member of the MQG!
Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.